Choosing and regularly seeing a primary care provider is one of the best things you can do for your health. Partner with a friendly, knowledgeable health professional from Virginia Hospital Center Physician Group for primary care that helps you live well.
Free Healthy Habits Assessment
Understanding your lifestyle habits is the first step in your journey to better health. Our online health risk assessment evaluates how your habits affect your overall health and wellness.
Are My Habits Healthy?
What Is a Primary Care Provider?
A primary care provider (PCP) is a doctor, physician assistant (PA), or nurse practitioner (NP) who serves as your dedicated care provider and advocate. In partnership with you, your primary care provider will:
- Get to know you and your health goals
- Maintain a long-term perspective on your health and risk factors based on your personal and family history
- Perform routine physical exams for preventive care, sports, school, adoption, and/or employment
- Administer immunizations, including flu shots and other vaccines
- Recommend age-appropriate screenings for cancer, bone density and heart health, and help you to manage results and necessary interventions
- Treat acute (short-term) illnesses and injuries
- Help you manage chronic (long-term) conditions, such as diabetes, hypertension, asthma, obesity, and heart disease
- Answer your health questions
- Safely store and provide you access to your medical records
- Refer you to specialists—such as cardiologists, mental health professionals, rehabilitation therapists, and surgeons—as necessary
Types of Providers
At Virginia Hospital Center, you can select the type of health professional that is right for you or your loved one.
- Family practitioner – Cares for patients of every age, from infants to seniors
- Internist or internal medicine physician – Specializes in preventing, diagnosing, and treating health conditions in adults
- Pediatrician – Skilled in caring for the unique needs of babies, children, and teens
- Geriatrician or gerontologist – Specializes in preventing, diagnosing and treating health concerns in senior adults
Your Annual Physical
Check with your doctor to understand his or her recommended intervals for routine physical exams, also called annual check-ups, wellness exams, and preventive care visits. Most doctors recommend at least one visit annually for adults.
Get the most out of your time with your doctor by thinking about your health concerns and goals before your next appointment. Consider asking your doctor:
- What’s the healthiest weight for me?
- Which screening tests or exams do I need?
- Do I need shots to prevent flu, pneumonia, shingles or other diseases?
- What does my family history tell you about my risk for health problems?
VHC Physician Group Primary Care
If you have a minor illness or injury and you’re an established patient, take advantage of convenient same-day appointments. Or walk in to the Immediate Care location open seven days a week, and count on our staff to communicate the results of your visit with your PCP.
Use our secure online patient portal to:
- Access lab and imaging test results
- Complete patient forms
- Refill prescriptions
- Schedule appointments
Add additional page content here
For your convenience, Virginia Hospital Center Physician Group's Primary Care practices offer care when it works best for you—early mornings, evenings and Saturdays.
In-House Lab Services
Lab testing can help reveal important information about your health. If your PCP recommends a test, expect accurate, timely results.