Pregnancy & Childbirth
When you give birth at Virginia Hospital Center, named one of the nation’s Best Maternity Hospitals by Newsweek magazine in 2020, you receive the cutting-edge care of our award-winning maternity services right in the comfort of your community. Families who deliver at VHC have the comfort of a fully-private suite with 24/7 lactation support and our onsite Level III NICU is managed by a team of neonatologists in partnership with Children's National Hospital. You can count on our team to support your safety, comfort and preferences throughout your pregnancy journey through our skilled team of on-site obstetricians, certified nurse-midwifes, maternal fetal medicine (MFM) doctors and neonatologists.
- You will be in a private suite throughout your stay
- You'll have access to a range of natural and medicated options for pain relief and labor support
- You will able to hold your baby immediately after delivery
- Your baby can always stay by your side, or you have the option of using our newborn nursery should you need a moment to rest
- Keep your support person close with guest sleeping chairs and couches in your private room
We offer live, weekly information sessions with a Q&A where you can learn about what to expect when delivering your baby at Virginia Hospital Center.
Privacy and Comfort During Your Stay
All moms deliver in private delivery rooms. You will recover in a private room with an en-suite bath and a sleeper couch or chair for your support person. During your stay, you’ll also:
- Receive bedside breastfeeding support from our board-certified lactation consultants
- Have access to newborn professional photography from our on-site partner BabyBella
- Have the support of our caring, responsive team, which received the highest rating in the region when it comes to “treating patients with courtesy and respect” as rated by patients during their delivery stay
Onsite Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Our onsite Level III NICU is operated in partnership with Children’s National Health System, the #1 ranked neonatology provider in the country based on U.S. News & World Report 2019-2020 Best Children’s Hospital survey. We have over 100 team members dedicated specifically to the care of NICU infants.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes us as a level III NICU, meaning we can care for babies of any weight and age.
Welcoming a Baby During COVID-19
You probably have a few questions and concerns as you prepare for your baby's arrival during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our teams train for situations like this and are committed to providing you with high-quality care and a comfortable experience.
Our Women & Infant Health staff take extra precautions and little has changed regarding your comfort. Moms continue to have private delivery and recovery rooms with en-suite bathrooms. You are welcome to bring a support person to accompany you throughout your stay as well as a doula to support your delivery.
Labor & Delivery Visitor Policy